Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Story of Stuff

I've been feeling like a slave to my stuff. I have to protect it, clean it and store it. I started getting rid of stuff in 2003 by selling it or giving to charity. Every time I get rid of something the house feels a little better.

The phrase perceived obsolescence in the movie The Story of Stuff was new to me. Perceived obsolescence is where you think you need a new version of a serviceable item because a newer version is available; for example clothes. You don't want to wear a dated style but you go to the store to buy jeans and t-shirts that look like they've been worn for years.

I've been trying to not buy more stuff unless it's truly needed but I'm still guilty. I use reusable shopping bags but I have an embarrassing number of them. I try to use refillable aluminum water bottles but I have 6 styles from Switzerland. I'm getting better about my consumption but I still have a long way to go.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment